Do I have the right to ask for an account history?

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have the right to ask for an account history?

I was served a summons. I do not think I owe the debt. I am not sure what to do. The complaint states I owe medical bills but I pay my co-payments each time I go to the doctor. If I do get a bill from the doctor then I pay the bill. I never received only notices in the mail about this prior to the response. Not sure how to respond. I know I need to respond.

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You will need to file an answer to the complaint with the court within the time set forth in the summons and serve by mail a copy of your answer to the complaint on the opposing party or the opposing party's attorney.  If you don't timely file an answer to the complaint, the opposing party will have a default entered against you.  Judgment by default means you will have lost the case.  If that happens, you will need to file a motion to set aside the default with the court and serve by mail a copy on the opposing party or the opposing party's attorney.  If the court grants your motion to set aside the default, the case will then be back on track and litigation will continue.

An answer to the complaint denies the allegations in the complaint.  At the law library, look for answer to complaint in the index of Pleading and Practice.  This will give you the general format for an answer to the complaint.  At the end of the answer to the complaint is the verification which you sign and date under penalty of perjury.  The verification attests to the veracity of your statements in the answer.  File the answer with verification and an attached proof of service with the court and serve a copy by mail on the opposing party or the opposing party's attorney.  You can either use a court form proof of service or you can write your own.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.  If you write your owne proof of service, it just says that you are over eighteen and the attached documents were sent via first class mail unless stated otherwise to ________ (name and address of opposing party's attorney or opposing party if no attorney) on ____________ (date).  You sign and date at the bottom.  The date you sign should be the same as the date of mailing and the same date you file your documents with the court.

You can request an account history.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption