Do I have the right to 50% of my house after a 15 year relationship ended?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have the right to 50% of my house after a 15 year relationship ended?

My ex made much more than I and put in most of the down payment for the house. We owned property for four years. She ended the relationship after emotional infedelity. She claims she paid off my debt of 25k and therefore entitled to the house. She made those payments by choice without contingencies. The house deed is in both our names with no riders/contingencies with the exception of right to survivorship.

Asked on June 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what little information you supply  I doubt you are entitled to 50%. If your name was not on the title you would not be entitled to anything.  Were I you, I would try to negotiate a settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption