Do I have recourse for termination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have recourse for termination?

My company today has told me that I can either resign or I will be given 30 days notice. When I have asked why they have told me that the company have decided to go in a different direction. I have not failed anything or caused any problem. The company have a handbook which states that any termination process I must have been issued three warnings, I have received none. I am employed with a monthly pay rate but have a training contract with them that does not expire for another 10 months.

Asked on February 10, 2019 under Employment Labor Law


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Speak to an employment law attorney and bring with you the handbook and the training contract. As a general matter, an employer may terminate an employee at any time, for any reason (or even no reason at all--i.e. they simply want to terminate them). The exception is if there is an enforceable written contract preventing termination at that time, for that reason, or in that way. Contracts are enforced according to their plain language; you need a lawyer to review those documents and see if either gives you enforceable rights in this case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption