Do I have recourse for septic work that was completed 6 years ago but improperly installed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have recourse for septic work that was completed 6 years ago but improperly installed?

I have had the problem repaired by someone else and now have a bill for $1100 to pay before I close on my house in about 10 days. I have written and called the original installer, however I have received no response. I feel that he should pay since he did not install the septic tank properly.

Asked on October 19, 2016 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the relevant statute of limitations, or time period within which you *must* start or file a lawsuit for this in your state, would be only 3 years, since this claim would have to be brought under "breach of contract," or that the person/business who installed the system did not do so professionally or up to acceptable commercial standards, and so effectively violating their contract. If the work was done 6 years ago, it appears that too much time has passed and you may not sue for compensation, which means that if he does not voluntarily pay, you have no way to make him pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption