Do I have protection against sibling interference with my eldery mother?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have protection against sibling interference with my eldery mother?

I take care of my elderly mother in her home. It has been willed to me. Do I have any rights since I have lived in the home for several years? Recently a sibling who has had no contact with my mother for over 10 years has shown up making suggestions about Will changes so that she gets something. What can I do?

Asked on February 17, 2011 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The home is your Mothers while she is alive and you are not entitled to it until she passes away. Now, it appears that your sibling is "smelling money" and wants to swoop in at the last minute to unduly influence your Mother.  You claim that your Mother is elderly.  Is she frail and does she have any diminished capacity?  If the answer to that is yes then I would suggest that you seek help being appointed as her conservator as soon as possible.  Being a Power of Attorney will not really help here to [protect her from your sibling and changing the Will.  You may also want to consider speaking with the lawyer about transferring the house now and giving your Mother a life estate or creating a Living trust and transferring the house in to the trust with you as the beneficiary.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption