Do I have liability post bankruptcy when sued by a minor who was allegedly injured prior to bankruptcy but has just reached majority and can now sue.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have liability post bankruptcy when sued by a minor who was allegedly injured prior to bankruptcy but has just reached majority and can now sue.

I am the defendant in a lead paint case relating to property owned and included in my bankruptcy filing 10 years ago. The plaintiff has recently reached majority and has brought suit alleging lead paint poisoning prior to the bankruptcy. Can I have the case dismissed under summary judgment?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Generally, a claim of this sort is dischargeable in bankruptcy.  However, here the claim was not filed until the injured party attained the age of majority (which is legally allowed), years after the bankruptcy had been discharged. 

So the question is, does an intervening bankruptcy wipe out a claim for a personal injury suffered prior to bankruptcy but validly filed after discharge?  Upon analysis, if the claim had been filed at the time of the injury it would have been dischargeable; therefore it would appear that the injured party can have no current claim against you.  I believe that the case can be dismissed under summary judgement.

You need, however, to consult with a bankruptcy attorney since I do not specialize in this area of the law; there may be a specific statute governing a case such as this of which I am unaware.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption