Do I have liability exposure if I am listed as a co-owner on a car title?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have liability exposure if I am listed as a co-owner on a car title?

I purchased a car for my sister. We do not live in the same household. The

dealership listed both of us as purchasers on the title they signed over to me.

When registering the car, I wanted to title it and register it in my sisters name

and not have my name on the new title. However, the tag agent said I had to be listed on the new title since my name was listed as buyer. We will be listed as co-owners on the new title and registration. My sister has insured the car in

her name. If there is a liability claim, could I face exposure since I am listed

as a co-owner?

Asked on July 5, 2018 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your sister is at fault in an accident, both you and she are liable because both of you are the registered owners of the vehicle.
Your liability would include property damage (cost of repairs) to the vehicle not at fault in the accident and the personal injury claims of each occupant of that vehicle.
The personal injury claims will include medical bills, pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills, and wage loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption