Do I have legal right to demand my wedding photos or a refund?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have legal right to demand my wedding photos or a refund?

I contracted a wedding photographer who took pictures at the wedding but has not answered her phone or email in over 3 months 1 month past the designated deliver date. Do I have legal right to demand my photos or a refund?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under General Practice, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If either--

1) There was a contract between you and the photographer; and/or

2) You have already (presumably, from what you write) paid money to the photographer

--then you have the right to either get the photographs or to get your money back. In either event--an explicit written contract; or a deposit made for services, which would itself create a contract--there is an enforceable agreement. If the photographer breaches this agreement, you can bring a legal action seeking return of monies paid and/or "specific performance"--that the photographer give you the photos.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption