Do I have legal right to take what’s mine from my seperated wife?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have legal right to take what’s mine from my seperated wife?

We have 2 cars; 1 is solely registered in my name and the other is in both of our names. I purchased them both prior to the marriage and she is driving the 1 which has my name solely on it. I want that car back since it is in my name after all. Can I legally go over there and request the keys? If she says no, what are my options?Also, she is now refusing me to visit with my 3 year old son, because she is too busy hanging out with her boyfriend and all, do I have the legal right to go over there and take him from her for the weekend that I am off?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is to play by the rules and not play games like she is becuase that will put you in a much better light in the eyes of the court when the time comes.  You need to file something - for custody and visitation of your son - and for divorce and tempoary use of the car pending determination of the assets.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption