Do I have legal recourse against lawn care service for non-performance of services?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have legal recourse against lawn care service for non-performance of services?

I’m trying to sell my home, so I hired a lawn service to maintain the lot since I am in another state. The individual they assigned to my lot claimed that he did the work when in fact he did not. During this period, the home had more than a dozen showings and several individuals mentioned the poor condition of the lawn in their feedback. Is there anything that can be done since the failure of the lawn company to fulfill their commitment may have directly impacted the sale of my home?

Asked on September 14, 2018 under Business Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there is compensation for what "may have" happened. Unless you can prove that the lack of lawn care actually caused you a loss--e.g. caused you to sell for less--you cannot recover compensation. Proving that loss is apt to be very difficult; this may not be a case you can realistically bring and win.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption