Do I have grounds to return to court or for a modification?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have grounds to return to court or for a modification?

I recently found out that my now ex wife stole money
forged checks while we were married and hid
assets trust fund and an inheritance during our

Asked on February 13, 2018 under Family Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Changed circumstances regarding financial matters are grounds for modification of spousal support.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing on your modification of spousal support.  Call the court clerk to schedule a hearing.  Include the hearing date/time/ department on your Order to Show Cause.  With the Order to Show Cause, file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your request for modification, and any additional supporting evidence.  In addition, file a proof of service (court form).  After filing these documents with the court, mail a copy of your documents to your ex with the proof of service which verifies the date of mailing.  Serving your ex by mail provides her with notice of the hearing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if there are any other required documents you need to file for a modification of spousal support because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption