Do I have good cause to voluntarily quit my current position and collect UI.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have good cause to voluntarily quit my current position and collect UI.

I have several examples of harassment in the workplace from my immediate supervisor. I also have documentation of changes in my position that have worsened the position that I applied for. For example, one employee was fired in Oct 08, I was asked to temp. overtake his responsibilites. The job listing has been posted since Dec. 08 and my supervisor will not hire a replacement.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Being asked to take over another employee's responsibilities is generally reasonable--it happens all the time, especially in a recession. (It might not be reasonable if you now had to work far away and travel extensively, or were placed in an unsafe position.) The mere fact that you have additional responsiblities would not, of itself, generally constitute good cause to leave a job.

Similarly, employers are under no obligation to fill open positions.

However, when you say "harassment," that may consitute reasonable grounds to quit. Be careful though--if it's just that you and your boss don't get along or he/she doesn't like you, that's not enough--there's no "right" to like or enjoy your job, or get along with your employer.

If, on the other hand, your supervisor is harassing you because of your race, religion, gender, etc., that is *not* permitted, and you may have an employment discrimination case. If that is the situation, contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and see what they say about your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption