Do I have grounds tofile workplace harassment against my employer?

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have grounds tofile workplace harassment against my employer?

I don’t want to lose my job but the Assistant Principal at the school where I work screams at me, checks on me every minute, or emails me if I am not on my duty. Also, he added more duties to me but not to another employee who works with me (because that employee is always friendly with him). When I told him that I was going to be 2 days absent for a medical procedure he even wanted to know what my operation was for. I am from Peru and I see that he overlooks other workers but picks on me all the time. When I returned they asked me for a release note from my doctor ASAP but they didn’t asked another co-worker.

Asked on November 16, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

While your boss's behavior towards you is certainly unprofessional, it does not violate the law.  There is no legal obligation to treat employees fairly, respectfully, politely, etc. Employers (or their supervisors) can be rude and they can favor one employee over another.  What an employer can't do is to discriminate against an employee on the basis of a protected category (e.g. race, religion, age, disability status, or gender).  Also, this behavior would be illegal if it violated company policy or an employment/union contract is some way.

If you believe that you have been discriminated against, you can file a claim with file with your states department of labor and/or you can consult with an employment attorney as to this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption