Do I have case if a towing service had caused damage to my car that made it not drivable and cost me my job?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have case if a towing service had caused damage to my car that made it not drivable and cost me my job?

I have photos of the damages.

Asked on July 4, 2015 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You may well be able to recover compensation from them for the physical damage to your car, if it was caused by their negligence (carelessness or unprofessionalism). However, you most likely cannot recover for the loss of your job: the law only makes someone liable, or responsible for, reasonably foreseeable consequences of their actions. It is not reasonably foreseeable that someone losses their job due to car damage, since the *vast* majority of people who have car damage do not lose their jobs, and since there are things you can do (rent a car; take public transportation or cabs; borrow a car from friends and family) if your car is damaged and you need to get to work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption