Do I have any rights to take over land?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any rights to take over land?

My dad passed away 25 years ago. At that time I was living in Germany with my mom. They was divorced. I have not received anything of my dad, accept his SSI in form of a check. My uncle (father’s brother), called my mom back then and asked if he could farm the land (with house) that used to be me dad’s, that was suppose to go to me. There are no written documents, etc. Now, nobody is mentioning anyhting about the land or the house. I would like to know if I have a right to take over the land and house. There are other questions regarding land as well.

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your father passed away twenty-five (25) years ago leaving assets his estate should have been probated (if a Will was in existence), administered (if no Will or trust) and through a trust administration if there was a trust.

With respect to the first two options there would have been a probate filing. Whether you are entitled to take over the land and house depends upon if title was in joint tenancy between you and your father, if there was a Will or trust or not.

Given the complicated nature of what you have written about, you should consult with a Wills and trust attorney. A great deal of investigative work needs to be done with respect to items I have written about in order to get answers to your questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption