What to do if my ex has not come by to pick up her belongings?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex has not come by to pick up her belongings?

I currently am divorced. As part of my divorce I was ordered to allow my ex to retrieve her personal belongings from my home. If I did not, the estimated amount of her property ($5000) was supposed to be paid by me to her within 30 days of the judgement of the divorce. I have attempted numerous times to set up a date that she can come get her stuff and it has been well over 30 days since the divorce was signed. She has every excuse in the book on why she cant make the trip to come get her stuff. She lives 5 hours away. Do I have any legal rights, must I still give her all of her belongings back? Can I set a deadline?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Family Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

At this point, re-review the order. If the order requires her to pick her items up by a date certain, then you need to wait that time period out, despite all of her excuses. If the order merely states she has only thirty days from the date of the judgment to pick up the items, and she has not, then you should petition the court to show she is in contempt of the order and declare her items as abandoned. If the order has no date, she is obligated to act in good faith. If she has not acted in good faith, petition the court to declare her items as abandoned due to her bad faith and that should suffice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption