Do I have any recourse with a neighbor who knowingly hired an unlicensed surveyor to determine a property line?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any recourse with a neighbor who knowingly hired an unlicensed surveyor to determine a property line?

The line in question separates our two lots. I contacted the local police and they agreed that he was unlicensed in our state and stopped the action. Isn’t this “fraud” and “conspiracy to commit fraud or something? My wife is chronically ill with Lyme disease and this stress has worsened her condition.

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although the surveyor was unlicensed and legally was not allowed to do what he or she was doing, the problem from a legal perspective is that even though you can show liability you have no damages per se in terms of dollars and cents since the property line was not set forth in a recorded document.

You might consider consulting the district attorney's office to investigate this unlicensed surveyor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption