Do I have any recourse when an employee hit my car.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any recourse when an employee hit my car.

My car was hit while it was parked at my work. the person who hit me was allegedly under the influence and was arrested. When eh hit my car, he was working for and driving teh car of a large auto delaership.

I take good care of my cars. The car he hit was well taken care of and for a 2008 I only put 65000 miles on it. Now it will not be the same.

Asked on March 8, 2018 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The auto dealership is the registered owner of the vehicle driven by the at-fault party.  Therefore, you can file a property damage claim with the auto dealership's insurance carrier for the cost of repairs to your vehicle.
If the case is settled with the auto dealership's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the auto dealership's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the auto dealership and the at-fault driver.  Depending on the cost of repairs to your car, you may be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court.  Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption