Do I have any recourse to being suspended?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any recourse to being suspended?

I was suspended in a disciplinary action from a complaint made from a friend of a patient that was admitted into our emergency room. This person was yelling, demanding entrance, cursing, implying violence towards me or my co workers if his demands were not met. This person over heard me tell the nursing staff that I thought he was on drugs and to be careful around him. The situation was explained in detail to my manager and Human Resources manager. I was suspended for 3 days without pay. Hospital policy and discipline procedures were not followed. What can I do?

Asked on July 15, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if you don't actually have a written employment contract or a union agreement which prohibits suspending you for this reason or requires that they follow some procedure to suspend you, there is likely nothing you can do: in the absence of a written agreement, your employment is employment at will, and an employer can suspend you at any time, for any reason, without pay. You can attempt to argue that the policies in any employee handbook or employment manual effectively create a  contract, but most often, they do not--it takes very clear policies, with no exceptions, and no language anywhere in the handbook, etc. to the effect that the handbook does not create a contract or that all employment remains employment at will, to potentially create contractual protections. It would not be an easy legal action to bring to show that a handbook, etc. creates an enforceable contract, and may well not be worth the time, effort, or cost for 3 days of pay, especially given that the chance of success if not necessarily good. 
If you do have a written contract, you can sue to enforce it's terms (for the 3 days pay) for "breach of contract."
If there is a union agreement covering your job, follow the procedures in the agreement for a situation like this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption