Do I have any recourse if my husband’s lawyer has not filed paperwork he was ordered to by the due date?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any recourse if my husband’s lawyer has not filed paperwork he was ordered to by the due date?

He was ordered to file a judgement which was just to be a legalese version of our mediation agreement. He has not filed by the date ordered and I am now paying a huge health insurance premium alone because I can’t pursue his portion until the judgement has been signed.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Maine


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you say that he was ordered to file the paperwork do you really mean that your husband's attorney was ordered or your husband was ordered through his attorney to file it?  If there is an actual order then you can file a motion for contempt if the paper work was not filed by the due date that the court set.  A motion for contempt is a very strong set of papers.  Judge's do not like it when some one goes against their order and they tend to sanction the parties that do so. IF you have damages (the health insurance premium) because of their contempt of the order so state in the papers and ask for some kind of award based upon that.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption