Do I have any recourse for being terminated?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any recourse for being terminated?

I recently was invited to join a new auto dealership state. I took the job as it cut my previous commute in half. I have been there less than 90 days and was let

go today. It is important that you know I received zero training and help on the

policies and procedures with this employer. I did everything asked of me, including working the last 10 days of the month straight. I had a good relationship with the staff. And I wasn’t written up for any actions why I was there.

Asked on September 3, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Did your treatment constitute some form of illegal discrimination? Did this action violate the terms of an exisiting employment contract or union/collective bargaining agreement? If not, then while seemingly unfair, your firing was legal. The fact is that a business can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes when and why to termiate an employee. In fact, a worker can be discharged for any reason or nor reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption