How to avoid a restraining order?

UPDATED: Apr 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to avoid a restraining order?

After a breakup of a romance with a local lady, we agreed to contact each other after a short non-contact period. After a month I texted her, spoke with her by phone, and all seemed well. After a few days I sent a conciliatory e-mail, requesting that we try to be friends. The next day I received a call from an officer, who wrote up a report that she requested that I not make any contact with her. I am afraid though I will see her in town in my travels and fear she would overeact and go for a restraining order which would affect my job. What are my rights? Do I need just to move? I did nothing wrong.

Asked on April 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Hold on now.  You do not need to uproot your life here.  That is an expensive proposition.  I would, though, go and consult with a criminal attorney i your area to make a call or too on your behalf on the matter.  The officer needs to know that you have no intention of doing anything against the wishes of the young lady and that you were very surprised to get such a phone call since all prior correspondence was mutual and amicable.  And the reason that you have consulted with an attorney is because you now have the feeling that this woman is blowing things out of proportion and you do not wish to be caught in the middle of her made up scenario.  Have the attorney explain that your paths may indeed cross at times and that you have no intention of speaking with her at all.  This way your back is covered.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption