Do i have any recourse

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do i have any recourse

I am one of three surviving sisters. One of those sisters di not notify us or anyone
else that our mom passed away on November 20, 2016. I found out yesterday. My
sister has filed a quick claim deed against my parents home. What can we do to
stop her further. She had mom cremated already.

Asked on January 4, 2017 under Estate Planning, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As an interested party--someone who would reasonably expect to inherit under either a will or intestate succession (the inheritance rules for when there is no will)--you could bring a legal action in chancery court (a part or division of county court) for a court order stopping your sibling from doing anything until the court determines who inherits what and has what authority over the estate. You can bring this actuon on an emergent or urgent basis to get into court more quickly. This type of action, especially on any emergent basis, can be procedurallu complex; consult with a probate attorney to explore this option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption