Do I have any options with credit card debt that is now with a debt collector?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any options with credit card debt that is now with a debt collector?

I received a letter from a 3rd party debt collector informing me of a debt from a credit card. This debt was charged off in 16 months ago according to my credit report. The SOL for GA is 4-6 years for such debt. Do I still send a debt validation letter since the SOL has not expired? From what I understand this agency loves to sue. I have only talked with them today only to ask that they stop calling my job. I did not discuss anything with them. What are my options?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Georgia


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good afternoon,

I am sorry to hear of your situation but your options are as follows:

1- you can attempt to settle the matter by working payments out with the collection agency. This will ensure no further action is taken to potentially damage your credit. You can also contest it with them if there is a valid reason to do so (i.e. not your debt, you never had the card etc, although your post leads me to believe it is yours)

2- You can always wait and see if the agency proceeds legally. if they do you can then either settle with the attorney or argue in court.

3- unfortunately no answer will be a magic wand wiping it away. But if you make an effort to address it the credit damage will be less than ignoring further.

Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption