Do I have any liability concerns?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any liability concerns?

My mom is currently in a nursing home in Indiana with cancer and little time left to live. She does not have a Will. She only has a home worth about 40k. My only sister has power of attorney, and my mom has signed her house over to my sister. I want nothing to do with any of my mom’s estate my sister can have it all. Since my sister is immature and cannot be trusted, do I have any liability concerns in this matter. Should I protect myself in anyway?

Asked on November 14, 2017 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  I don't understand how you feel you need to "protect yourself" here.  Is the nursing home paid for?  My concern is that the transfer to your sister will be void if medicaid is involved or if the nursing home sues.  You have no obligation to pay for your Mother's debts if that is what you are concerned about.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption