Do I have a strong case on this matter?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a strong case on this matter?

I have worked eight years in this organization and finally had my wishes granted
beginning of this year 2016 to further my education. My program is for the school year of
January 2016 – June 2017. And while I requested a block of time from work which wS
granted in three different semesters winter, spring and summer my supervisor is now
denying every request I have made to help me complete my school. And have refused to
give me a copy of the denial form she signed. Please, advice me on what to do while I
don’t lose my job

Asked on October 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are in a union, you have to look to your union contract to see what rights it gives you about scheduling. If the union agreement does not help you and you do not have some other written employment agreement which gives you rights in regard to your schedule, then your employer has full right to set or change your schedule, including changing it from what had been set before, and can do so without your consent or agreement, and regardless of its affect on you. Except as limited by the terms of a contract, work schedules are completely under the employer's control. If there is some contract, including a union agreement, giving you some rights in this situation, you can enforce your contractual rights, including in court if necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption