Do I have a right to request a copy of my banking information from a company I did business with?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a right to request a copy of my banking information from a company I did business with?

I ordered checks from an online printing company. I began to use the checks but three weeks later my check was declined at a grocery store. I knew there was money in the account. When I got home and read my mail there was a letter from another grocery store saying my check was returned by my bank credit union. I began to investigate and found that the banking info on my checks may be inaccurate. I was going to order new checks so I called the company Vistaprint and asked for a copy of my order with the banking information so I could compare it to the checks I received from them. They refused to do so.

Asked on July 6, 2018 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you have no right to the information: their files are *their* files, not yours, and even if the file or records are about you, they do not need to provide it to you, any more than you would need to provide your records to another person. This is why you should keep a copy of anything you submit or send to someone else, so you can check what you sent at need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption