Do I have a right to a speedy trail for a traffic ticket falure to maintain lane in Nevada

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a right to a speedy trail for a traffic ticket falure to maintain lane in Nevada

I got a ticket for failure to maintain my lane NRS 484B.2231a in November 2018, went to the traffic clerk in December 2018, they gave me a court date in January 2019 to plead not guilty, they gave me a pretrial date in July 2019, they gave me a trail date in September 2019. That’s almost a year I asked for a speedy trial and was told they don’t do that in Nevada. My question is Do I have the right to a speedy trial in Nevada.

Asked on July 5, 2019 under General Practice, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, there is a right to a speedy trial. But the reality is, courts get back-up or overwhelmed--there are simpy not enough courts or judges--and when they do, less important cases (like traffic citations) tend to the ones that get pushed off...and  every court, including all the higher level courts that handle appeals, knows this.
The one year delay is longer than normal, but not truly excessive, and also has almost certainly not actually caused you any provable or demonstrable harm. Therefore, that your trial has taken longer than it should will not result in your case being dismissed automomatically--though it may result in a dismissal if the officer is no longer employed (e.g. quit, resigned, transferred) or can no longer convincingly testify that he recalls what happens. In those cases, the state will effectively have no evidence and cannot prove its case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption