What to do if no doctor will remove my IUD?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if no doctor will remove my IUD?

I was 18 when I had the IUD in place by my physician in CO. I moved to CA 4 years ago. My IUD was supposed to be removed last month, but when contacting my CA doctor they give me the run-around. They have contacted 3different doctors who claim they will not remove IUD’s. When asking my doctor what my next step should be they simply reply with “I don’t know” and “What are yougoing to do about it.” My doctors office in CO is no longer around and the doctor is no longer practicing. It has been 2 months and my CA doctor’s office still has not come up with a solution. No one will remove it.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Malpractice Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay so here is what you need to do.  You need to send a letter by certified mail and a fax to your Doctor indicating that you have requested that the IUD be removed and that they have refused.  Advise them that you are going to file a complaint with the state medical board (and do so) that licenses him and that is as a result of his refusal and inability to either give you a concrete reason as to why or an alternative for you you are in any way adversely effected by the IUD remaining past the time frame advised under the standard of medical care, you will be holding him responsible and taking the necessary steps to take action against him. Now, the most important thing for you to do is to find another doctor or a clinic that can help you.  Go to your local hospital and ask if they have a clinic that can help.  A reputable one.  Try planned parenthood as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption