Do I have a legal case

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a legal case

Recently, I was suspended from my job as a paramedic. I was not happy with the condition of how I found a patient at a local nursing home. I spoke with my supervisor and told him I was going to file a report with APS. Well the supervisor then told the nursing home I had filed the report and they complained about me. The president of my company then suspended me because this nursing home doesn’t want me on their grounds anymore. I don’t know what to do.

Asked on May 27, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written employment contract (or are subject to a union or collective bargaining agreement) which would prevent your suspension in this way or for this reason, you can enforce the contract's terms if they are beneficial to you, such as by a "breach of contract" lawsuit. 
But without a still-in-effect (unexpired) written employment contract, you are an "employee at will". If you are an employee at will, you have basically no rights to your job: your employer can terminate you--or as in this case, suspend you--at any time, for any reason whatsoever, including that a nursing home does not want you on its grounds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption