Do I have a case if I was fired because I refused to work 60-80 work weeks every week?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a case if I was fired because I refused to work 60-80 work weeks every week?

In addition I spoke with HR about issues with my boss on Friday and in retaliation my boss fired me today.

Asked on December 7, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not: your employer has the right to request ANY number of hours be worked each week (e.g. 60, 80, 100, etc.), and if you refuse to do so, you may be terminated. There is, literally, no upper limit on how many hours you can be made to work each week, other than the physical limit that there are only 168 hours in a week. In addition, you may be fired because you have an issue with your boss or complained about your boss; the law does not give you the right to make complaints or protect you when doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption