Do I have a case for wrongful termination?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a case for wrongful termination?

My husband was terminated from his job this past week. Following an on the job accident due to the

employer not providing the proper safety equipment per their safety policy he was sent to doctors care to receive treatment and a drug urinalysis test. The results were sent off to the lab. Upon returning to

work that day he was given a mouth swab drug screen in which he immediately passed and was

allowed to return to work. A week later his urinalysis results returned with what the doctor called trace

amounts of marijuana. My fiance does not smoke marijuana and these results were quite shocking. He

explained this to his employer and asked to have another screening done but they refuse and chose to

immediately terminate him. Upon being terminated he purchased a drug test himself and passed. He

has been an outstanding employee with no other disciplinary issues or attendance issues. Is this

something worth pursuing?

Asked on July 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Did he have an employment contract or union agreement that prohibited his termination under the circumstances? If not, then he was an "at will" worker. This means that his company could set the conditions of his employment much as it saw fit (at least absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). This included when and why to fire him. In fact, he could have been dismissed for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption