Can I sue someone who has made false allegations about me and has cost me my job?

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue someone who has made false allegations about me and has cost me my job?

My former employer fired me for what they are saying is sexual harassment against a volunteer. I knew the person before she became a volunteer and that the “harassment” in question all happened outside of work hours and off property. She has gone on to further slander my name by falsely accusing me of more sexual acts and further damaging my image else where. Do I have a case against her, as well as my former employer?

Asked on June 1, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) If someone makes false accusations of fact against you, which accusations damage your reputation, cause others to not work with you, etc., you may have a cause of action or claim against them for defamation. The important thing is, the accusations must be factual statements (not opinions) and they must be false--true statements, no matter how negative, are  not defamation.

2) So you may be able to sue the person making the accusations. You probably cannot sue your employer, however. The employer took reasonable action based on the information before it; indeed, in this environment, employers can face substantial liability for not acting on sexual harassment claims. While you could try speaking with an employment attorney, who can evaluate your specific situation in detail, in most cases, you would not have a cause of action against an employer who acted reasonably (based on what they knew) in terminating someone in a situation like this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption