Do I have a case

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a case

Ok on March 1st 2019 I had surgery on my right
pointer finger due to two torn tendons. The
surgery went fine I followed up with the
surgeon 4 days later after that I never heard
from them again. I have reached out to them on
more then one occasion to get my stitches
removed never got back to me. Fast forward to
April 21st I finally had them removed the
hospital said there’s permanent damage to it
now due to no proper follow up after surgery my
hand was in a ace bandage for almost 2 months
and my finger is still fractured due to no cask
or splint put on after surgery so do you all
feel I have a case?

Asked on April 27, 2019 under Malpractice Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If there is medical evidence (e.g,. the opinion of medical professionals), as appears to be the case, that the surgeon you went to was negligent, or unreasonably careless, in not following up (i.e. any reasonable doctor in his position would have been expected to do follow-up), then this is likely malpractice. Whether it's economically worth pursuing depends on the extent of the permanent damage and its impact on your life (e.g. chronic pain and/or losss of function), as well as any additional out-of-pocket medical costs the lack of follow-up causes you to incur. Medical malpractice cases are very expensive: they are generally not worth pursuing for less than several tens of thousands, if not over a hundred thousand, dollars worth of possible compensation. 
A good idea is to consult with a local medical malpratice attorney about your case: many such lawyers provide a free initial consultation to evalute cases, and you can confirm this before making the appointment. The lawyer can help determine if this is a worthwhile case or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption