Do I have a case

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a case

I was hired for a job. I quit another
job so I could start the new one.
Employer promised to call and
where I was assigned. Called and left me
a message to call her. I called every
day for a week. No answer and nor
response. Finally contacted assistant
who said they could not find me a spot.
Till date I have not heard from the main
employer. I lost a few months of my part
time job.

Asked on October 24, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Only if you had an actual written employment contract guarantying you a job for a set or defined period (for example, for one year) which was violated would you have a case. In the absence of a contract, all employment is "employment at will." That means--not to put too fine a point on it--that you have no right to a job; it can be taken away at any time, even before it actually starts. There is no job proection without a contract.
If you had a contract and it was violated, you could sue for "breach of contract."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption