Do I get to stay with my anniversary employment date if the company that I worked for was sold to new owners?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I get to stay with my anniversary employment date if the company that I worked for was sold to new owners?

We have new owners but it’s the same corporation. I have been working there for 4 years and now when vacation comes I get 2 weeks. Can my new owners restart my anniversary date? I don’t want to loose my 2 weeks since I’ve been here a long time.

Asked on February 16, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the new owners can change your anniversay date, or otherwise change how they calculate how much vacation you get, at will, unless you have a written employment contract setting this out (if you do, they have to honor its terms). For that matter, if you did not have a written contract, the old owners could have changed how they calculated vacation or how much vacation you had at will, too--when there is no contract, employers may freely change compensation, including vacation time, whenever they want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption