Do heirs that are the adopted children of the deceased have a right to a higher percentage of the estate?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do heirs that are the adopted children of the deceased have a right to a higher percentage of the estate?

I heard in some states that adopted children get a higher share of the estate. Is this true?

Asked on April 18, 2012 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Not to my knowledge.  Once a child is adopted they have the same inheriance rights as any of the biological children.  In fact, they have the same rights all the way around - support, etc. But understand that if a parent chooses to leave a Will and divide their estate differently between children that is up to them.  I speak only about a situation where there is no Will and the intestacy statutes apply. If you are concnerned about your siuation in particular I would speak with ana ttorney in your area.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption