Divorced but getting remarried, need physical certificate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorced but getting remarried, need physical certificate?

I divorced over 7 years ago. I have 0 contact information from the ex. We split in one state and I moved away. I was sent legal documents to sign and a police officer where I live now served me them and I signed.

There was never any attorneys or courthouse for the split.

Im now getting remarried in a few months and the law here states I need a physical form that I was previously divorced. I called all the local courthouses and they have 0 records of it.

How can I get this form?

Asked on February 26, 2018 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

So you have no idea in which state or county you were divorced?  Are you sure that your "ex" even filed the paperwork?  Just because you sign the documents does not mean she filed them. I think you should consult an attorney.  There are servives that can do searches for divorce documents.  Consider hiring them.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption