Divorce w/ domestic violence

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce w/ domestic violence

Just yesterday my husband got arrested
after hitting me continually in the
face, over 6 times.. I am wanting a
divorce immediately but I am on a fixed
income I need help to file the papers
immediately before they send him to
prison Can a judge who’s dealing with
domestic violence grant me a divorce?
please I need to be free from this
horrible man…

Asked on July 21, 2018 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Since money is an issue, you can check to see if Legal Aid can help you. If not, see if there is a law school in your area since many run legal clinics that take clients for free/reduced fees depending on their financial circumstances. Additionally, you can contact your local county/state bar association and ask if it has a list of attorneys who will represent clients "pro bono" (i.e. for free). Finally, if you want, you can file yourself as each state typically has an on-line website that contains information for doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption