Divorce settlement, regarding real estate

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce settlement, regarding real estate

The divorced couple resided in Massachusetts. The divorce was filed in Massachusetts. The settlement specified that the wife would live in and maintain the property until it was sold, at which time, the husband would receive half the proceeds from sale of the property. The ex-wife remarried while still living on the property. When the property was sold, the ex-wife and her current husband signed documents stating that no one had legal rights to the property, which was/is untrue. The ex-husband just relocated from Maryland to Nevada. Regarding the ex-husband retaining legal council, is he required to obtain legal representation in Maryland, Nevada or Massachusetts? The ex-wife still lives in Massachusetts.

Asked on December 14, 2017 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you need to set aside the sale of the property in MA then retain counsel in MA.  I would call the local Bar Assocaition and ask for an attorney that deals in real estate and one that deals in Family Law and set up a consultation (via phone or skype) ASAP.  Good Luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption