If our divorce is final, do I have to allow my ex to reside in our home?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our divorce is final, do I have to allow my ex to reside in our home?

The separation agreement states that we will have all of our property, debt, etc. divided by the 1st of the month after next. Does that mean I have to allow him to live in the home? In the separation agreement it was agreed upon that I would keep the house, debt, etc; therefore he no longer has any rights to the house.

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for providing the information from your agreement and decree, but one really needs to read it in order to give accurate guidance here.  If you were awarded the house permanently - and I am assuming that he is to execute a deed to that effect - then no, you do not have to allow him to reside in the house after the divorce is final.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption