Divorce, Home ownership

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce, Home ownership

I placed the down payment on our home of 28,000 I have also put in 20,000 in home improvements. We have lived in the house for 8 years. About a year ago my husband has refused to help with the house payment or Home equity loan apparently he has been planning for a divorce and has been hording his money. He refuses to leave. I will be filing for a divorce as soon as I can, it’s hard to save any money when I am paying the bills! With good credit and alot of equity in the home I don’t want to loss it. Will the court take this into consideration when disbursing the property?

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Family Law, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Please, please, please -- get yourself to a good divorce lawyer in your area, as soon as you can.  You have a lot at stake here, and while I know that legal representation won't come cheaply, in your situation it could quite easily pay for itself in the end.  One place to look for attorneys is our website, http://attorneypages.com

I'm not a Michigan attorney, but my research suggests that yours is an "equitable distribution" state.  Equitable is a fancy lawyer's word for fair -- and that doesn't automatically mean equal.  All the financial records you can collect -- not just about the house or your bills, all financial records -- can be invaluable, and will save you and your lawyer time in the early part of the case.

Know your rights, and make the right moves at the right time -- to do this, you need to have the advice of a qualified attorney who knows all of the facts of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption