Divorce Decree

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce Decree

My husband is currently deployed. In the divorce decree I’m granted custody 3-8 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays and every other weekend. His ex-wife is not allowing me to see the children. Does she have the right to do this or am I granted the same custody stated in the divorce decree in his absence?

Asked on May 26, 2016 under Family Law, Idaho


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless the divorce decree says that your visitation rights are somehow limited while your ex-husband is deployed, then your periods of possession and access remain in full force and effect.  This means that your husband's new wife cannot sue sponte change the final order on her own.  Only a court can change the order. 
If she is wrongfully witholding the children, then you have a couple of different options.  First.. call the police and ask them to do a civil standby when you go to pick up your children.  Take a copy of your order with you when you go.  If she refuses to turn the children over, then they can file interference with child custody charges.  Your second option is to file an enforcement action. In this action, you can also ask the court to grant you make up time for the dates that you have missed because of the wrongful withholding.  You can pursue both options, but the first one is the quickest way to see your children sooner than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption