divorce, child support, who gets house

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

divorce, child support, who gets house

My husband wants a divorce. Both of our names is on the deed to the house but only his is on the loan. What chance do I have of keeping the house. Also we have 1 child together and he adopted my other 3 children and doesn’t want to pay child support.

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Family Law, Alabama


Denise Ferguson / Denise Ferguson Attorney At Law

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am not quite sure of the question. The two of you have four children. You are getting divorced. Both of you will be legally required to financially support the minor children. Both of you will stand on equal footing for custody of the four children. As for the house, if you can afford to buy him out of the equity in the house and refinance the mortgage, then you possibly can be awarded the house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption