Divorce and Child Support

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce and Child Support

Can a divorce decree be modified?

Asked on December 9, 2018 under Family Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A divorce decree can be modified. Child support can be modified for changed circumstances such as a change in income. You will need to file with the court an Order to Show Cause to have a hearing on this issue. Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing. State the date, time, and department of the hearing on the Order to Show Cause. File your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts supporting your request for modification of child support. File any other supporting documents and a proof of service with the court. Then mail a copy of all these court-filed documents to your ex to provide your ex with notice of the hearing. The proof of service (court form) verifies the date of mailing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any other documents are required for a modification of child support because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption