How to get released as co-signer of my soon-to-be ex-husband’s truck?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get released as co-signer of my soon-to-be ex-husband’s truck?

I have been separated from my husband for6 months. The only joint property/debt we have is his truck, of which I am a co-signer. Due to financial issues, I believe I will be filing for a divorce on-line. Regarding the truck issue, is there any way I can get out of being a co-signer, if he won’t apply for/or get a loan on his own? And do I want to file for divorce with the truck issue not resolved?

Asked on July 14, 2011 under Family Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  And I hate to say this but the truck issue may never be resolved short of selling it or paying it off.  If he will not voluntarily refinance the vehicle then you may not be able to force him unless a judge orders him to do it as part of the divorce decree and if he does not, holds him in contempt of the order or allows you to do so as a result of a motion to compel it.  And if he does try and refinance and can not because of his credit or his salary then you are again out of luck. Does he have any other assets such as a pension or 401K or anything else worth bargaining for?  Please seek some legal advice from legal aid or possibly a women's group in your area and a pro bono group.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption