UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I recently found out I’m
not legally divorced from
my second husband, whom I
separated from in 1999 or
2000. In 2003 I remarried
again. We recently found
out through SS we are not
married because the
divorce was never filed.
So how do I divorce when
I’m still married to
another man? Could you
please help find me a low
income attorney.

Thank you

Asked on December 5, 2016 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First of all you are right that you need to get a divorce from your first husband. Further, you will need to re-marry your current "spouse". Secondly, as for your obtaining legal counsel, since money is an issue you can see if you qualify for Legal Aid or if they can recommend someone to reresent you. Also, check if there is a law school nearby to where you live as most of them run free/low cost clinics. Additionally, you can contact the local Bar Association in your county because they may have a list of lawyers who will take your case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on your income and circumstances. Further, you can google women's support groups in your area since they can usually provide a list of attorneys who can help. Finally, you can contact the Department of Social Services in your area as they may be able to refer you to free legal services.Read more: https://ask-a-lawyer.freeadvice.com/law-questions/husband-wants-to-kick-me--29310.htm#ixzz4S1iYDuR4 Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Follow us: @FreeAdviceNews on Twitter | freeadvice on Facebook

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption