How can I get my ex-wife to sign a document regarding the division of an asset?

UPDATED: Apr 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my ex-wife to sign a document regarding the division of an asset?

My ex-wife was given 1/2 of my stocks during our divorce which was over a year ago. She has not yet signed the paperwork to get it transferred and separated. She wants to file for bankruptcy before doing so. I want all the details over with so I can move on. How can I force her to sign the documents to get stocks divided up?

Asked on April 25, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

By bringing a motion to compel her to sign the documents if it was ordered in the divorce decree by the Judge or in an agreement as to the division of assets by the two of you.  You may also have the ability to ask the court to hold her in contempt depending on the woding of the order (if she was given a time frame and that has passed). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption