If my husband was transported to a hospital in an ambulance against his wishe, how can we dispute the charge?

UPDATED: May 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband was transported to a hospital in an ambulance against his wishe, how can we dispute the charge?

He was having an asthma attack. The first EMT team on the scene asked if he wanted to be taken to the hospital and he clearly stated, “No.” The second team arrived and he believed he was getting in the ambulance truck for the EMT to check his vitals, but instead they drove off. Afterward, a doctor at the hospital told him he had signed a consent form along with the paperwork for the hospital.

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If he had signed a consent to treatment form, you probably do not have grounds to contest the charges; people are held responsible for reading and reviewing documents prior to signing them, and if they sign, they will be held liable to what they agreed to.

Even in the absence of a consent form, it would be difficult to escape liability unless your husband and you can show that as the ambulence was closing up its doors and driving away, he protested and told them to stop and let him out. Otherwise, if he acquiesced in being driven to the hospital, that could be taken as an expression of consent to the trip and treatment.

You can and should try to negotiate a reduction in what you owe--and may be able to get that, if you can show at least some ambiguity in regards to conset--but it appears unlikely that you could entirely escape liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption