What can be done regarding workplace discrimination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done regarding workplace discrimination?

I have documented mental health issues and a new company bought us. The administrator did things to purposefully set me up to fail. He is black and more than 20 people were fired or quit within 4 months; they are all white. He made things up and would try to use intimidation and refused to

allow HR to sit in on meetings. Many were not paid sick days when they called out.

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is illegal to discriminate in employment against people due to their race or color, so if (as appears to be the case from what you write) the black administrator is firing white people or harassing them until they leave, that is illegal.
Similarly, an employer must make "reasonble accommodations" for people with disabilities or medical conditions, including mental health issues. "Setting you up" to fail, given a known or documented condition, may be illegal disability-based discrimination.
Based on what you write, it would be worthwhile for you to contact the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency about filing a workplace discrimination complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption